Are Hoverboards Safe ?
With reports in 2015 of hoverboards exploding and catching fire, this caused widespread panic, and retailers stopped stocking hoverboards altogether. These fires were largely caused by low quality manufacturing, and mainly stemmed from a default in the lithium batteries.
These events, led to the creation of the UL 2272 certification from the Underwriters Laboratories in 2016. This is an industry certification which shows that a hoverboard has been through rigorous safety tests and is deemed safe to use.
So are Hoverboards in 2017 Safe?
If you buy a UL 2272 certified hoverboard, then yes, its safe to use. It’s as safe as using any other electrical device which uses a lithium battery, such as a laptop or smartphone. However, as with any electrical appliance, you need to exercise caution. Always follow the manufacturer’s usage guidelines, and don’t overcharge hoverboards.
You should always check to see that a hoverboard has a genuine UL2272 certification before you purchase it.
How to ensure Hoverboard Safety
- Only buy a Hoverboard that is UL 2272 certified
- The UL 2272 holographic certification label is usually at the bottom of the hoverboard.
- For peace of mind, buy from a large retailer such as Amazon, as they only sell UL2272 certified hoverboards. Buying from a well-established retailer also means you’re more likely to have a proper warranty and good return policy.
- Beware of fakes. If you’ve found a cheap hoverboard, that’s selling for cheaper than the brand’s official retail price or on Amazon, then it might be a fake, with a fake UL certification. Always do your background research on the seller, and check our their reviews before purchasing.
- Don’t overcharge it, and follow the recommended charging times from the manufacturers instructions
- Follow the manufacturers usage guidelines. Don’t over use it or over ride it. This will cause it to overheat and mal-function.
- Only use the charger that comes with the hoverboard
- Keep your hoverboard away from flammable items when charging
- For children riding a hoverboard, make sure they meet the minimum weight requirements of a hoverboard.
- Always wear suitable hoverboard safety gear when riding.
If you’re looking to buy a safe hoverboard, read more on our Safe Hoverboard Brands reviews